As a MSW Advanced-Standing student, you are required to complete 600 hours of supervised field work. Each semester, you are required to complete 300 hours, which averages between 18-19 hours per week.
Process for Securing Practicum Placement
- (Boise only) If possible, attend the Field Agency Fair held every February. The school will provide details.
- Read the MSW Fieldwork Manual.
- The school will provide you with a IPT account and default login information during your initial orientation.
- Submit your Field Placement Application via IPT. This must be completed by the end of August to prepare you for your foundation practicum.
- Review the Field Agency list available via IPT and select up to three preferred agencies (you will learn more about this as part of the IPT Student Tutorial). You may wait to research agencies until after meeting with the Practicum Director.
- Make an advising appointment with the Practicum Director (Boise) or Site Coordinator (other sites).
- The Practicum Director (Boise) or Site Coordinator (other sites) will contact a number of agencies to inform them of your interests and learning needs.
- The school will provide students with agency contact information. The student then arranges for an interview with an agency Field Instructor.
- If no placement agreements are made after the initial interviews, the student contacts the Practicum Director (Boise) or Site Coordinator (other sites) for additional agency contacts.
- Once the student and agency agree upon placement, the student informs the School of Social Work by filling out the Field Placement Confirmation form via IPT.
- The practicum staff will confirm the placement and enter all information into IPT.
- The student will be assigned to a Faculty Liaison and register for practicum seminar class.
- Placement begins in Fall semester. Students and their Field Instructor decide on internship schedule and begin drafting the student’s Learning Agreement.
- Learning Agreement due by the end of the third week of the semester.
- Student arranges for Field Instructor, student, and Faculty Liaison to meet and discuss Learning Agreement and agency/school related issues.
- Student and Field Instructor meet once a week for supervision during the semester.
- Student participates in practicum seminar weekly or as scheduled.
- At the end of each semester, the student and Field Instructor fill out separate practicum evaluations of the experience.