This document provides an overview of the steps needed to complete the requirements for an initial secondary school teaching certificate. Secondary teacher education programs are offered and degrees conferred by the college in which the subject area program is located. See the Boise State University Catalog or the Secondary Education web page, for details about specific programs. For advice about the professional component contact the Office of Teacher Education.
Programs in Secondary and K-12 Education
Candidates for secondary teacher certification complete a major endorsement of at least 30 credits and a minor of at least 20 credits or a 45 credit major.
Physical Education (K-12)
Dr. John Bieter
Requirements prior to admission to Secondary Education:
- ED-CIFS 201 Foundations of Education
- EDTECH 202 Educational Technology—Classroom Applications OR Approved equivalents
Students must also pass the PRAXIS I (writing examination) prior to admission to the Secondary Teacher Education Program. Information about this test is available from: PRAXIS website.
Admission to Secondary Teacher Education
Admission to the Secondary Teacher Education program is required before you can enroll in Block I courses. Application is made through the Office of Teacher Education. Applications are only available in August and September.
Deadline & Requirements
Application deadlines for Admission to Secondary Teacher Education Block I are the Third Friday in September for spring semester.
- A completed application form
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
- Major GPA of at least 2.5
- GPA of at least 3.0 in all education courses
- A minimum score of 172 for the PRAXIS I (writing examination)
- A minimum grade of C- in all required courses
An interview will be required prior to admittance.
The following courses constitute Block I and must be taken concurrently:
- ED-CIFS 301 Teaching Experience I
- ED-CIFS 302 Learning and Instruction
- ED-SPED 350 Teaching Students with Exceptional Needs
Admission to the Professional Year
Blocks II and III constitute your Professional Year. They are usually taken during your last two semesters. In order to take Block II and III courses you must be admitted to the Professional Year. Application is made through the Office of Teacher Education. Applications are only available in January and February.
DEADLINE & REQUIREMENTS
Application deadlines for the Professional Year (Blocks II and III) is First Friday in February to begin Block II in the fall semester.
- Senior standing
- Successful completion of Block I courses, or currently enrolled
- Cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
- GPA of at least 2.75 in all education courses
- GPA of at least 2.75 in your major and minor
- A grade of C- or better in all required courses
- Passing scores on all PRAXIS II exams for subjects in which students seek endorsement must be recived by the Office of Teacher Education before beginning Block III Student Teaching.
- Most districts require student teacher to undergo a criminal background check
The following Block II courses must be taken concurrently:
- ED-CIFS 401 Professional Year – Teaching Experience II
- ED-LCTY 444 Content Literacy for Secondary Education
- ED-CIFS 405/534 Social Studies Methods
ED-CIFS 484 or 485 Professional Year – Teaching Experience III.
Students from Boise State University are recommended to the State Department of Education after meeting the following requirements:
- Demonstrate good moral character
- Complete required course work in an academic department in the program designed for secondary education
- Complete secondary teacher education requirements
- Obtain the recommendation of the Dean of the College of Education
Idaho State Department of Education Certification Manual
For information on subject certification requirements and corresponding PRAXIS II exams, see: www.sde.idaho.gov/site/teacher_certification/subject_area.htm