All members of the honor society are inducted through the local PAT chapter. Individual memberships sent directly to the National Office are not acceptable and will be returned.
There is an annual due of $10.00 to the Phi Alpha Theta Omega-Omicron Chapter History Honors Society at Boise State University. This is used to promote our local activities.
An additional one-time initiation fee of $40.00 per student is required to become a member at the national level, payable at the time of initiation. This fee includes a membership certificate and four issues of our journal, The Historian. Membership in Phi Alpha Theta is a lifetime membership and thereafter, there are no annual dues or fees (nationally). Members who wish to continue supporting the honor society may do so by subscribing to The Historian and/or to our newsletter.
Undergraduate students must complete at least 12 semester hours in History (4 courses) with a GPA of at least 3.1 in History, have a GPA of 3.0 or better overall, and be in the top 35% of the class. Membership is not limited to History majors.
Graduate students should have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours towards their Master’s Degree, have a GPA of better than 3.5, and shall have completed approximately 30% of the residence requirements for the Master’s Degree.
Faculty members above the rank of Instructor who teach History automatically qualify, pay the same induction fee, and receive the same membership privileges.
- Membership in Phi Alpha Theta is a prestigious honor that will enhance your resume.
- Phi Alpha Theta offers a number of scholarship and publication opportunities.
- Phi Alpha Theta provides the valuable experience of presenting history papers before a panel of qualified judges at the annual Phi Alpha Theta Northwest Regional Conference.
- Phi Alpha Theta members have the opportunity to meet history professors and motivated history scholars outside of the classroom.
- Members receive certain Phi Alpha Theta publications, which include a scholarly journal and a newsletter.